Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 1 on Rt. 66

Arrived in Chicago at 8:00 this morning.  There was a special event going on called Taste of Chicago.  Because of that, t uraffic downtown was very heavy.  I found the beginning of 66 without too much problem.  I remembered that it starts across the street from the Art Institute, not related to the school that Joel went to.  I circled around the block twice trying to get a photo of the beginning sign, but couldn't find a spot to park, so continued on. This is the sign that I followed--Illinois did a great job of marking the route.

 

The old road is uneventful until way outside of Chicago.  Lots of references to Al Capone in my sources.  The road wound through Chicago and to outlying areas.  In Joliet, I saw the old prison, now closed and quite haunting.


I met two women in an info center who are also traveling 66 with 2 children.  I ended up seeing them several times throughout the day at different sights.  Like traveling with the same person up and down the grocery aisles.

I had lunch at the Launching Pad Diner, with the Gemini Giant in the yard--one of the "muffler" men that were popular years ago.


Then  to another diner.  I just took a photo of the characters standing outside the Polka Dot Diner...




It's late, and time for bed.  I'll put up more photos tomorrow.  I will be in St. Louis with friends tomorrow night.








2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first full day on Route 66 !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mum Barbara Lunnon past on your blog site to me to have a read as we might be completing a similar trip next year.

    What amazing photos you have. I think this has helped seal the deal for next year. I will be sure to check your blog out later on.

    Mum also mentioned that you may be stopping at Yellowstone National Park. If you do so, it may be worth checking out Jackson Hole at its surroundings in the Grand Teton National Park. One place in particular for you might be the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar just opposite the Town Square in Jackson Hole, as well as the Silver Dollar Bar.

    PS Watch out for Yogi Bear!!!!!

    Regards
    Jason Lunnon

    ReplyDelete