Monday, June 27, 2011

Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal

To quickly catch up... We attended Ging's (Brian's aunt)service and burial on Saturday, followed by a typical Sullivan gathering with lots of food, talk, and good feeling about being together. We walked to the beach so that I could dip my feet into the Atlantic, and when I reach Calif., I'll do the same on that coast.

I left Sunday morning to drive to Julie's. It was a quiet drive with few stops. At one rest stop/service area, all the parking was in a parking garage! In another one, there was a farmer's market. Different. It took 7 1/2 hours to get to Alden, and I was greeted with food and love.

Today has been a great day with Julie. We spent a lazy morning talking and catching up, then went to Lockport to go on a boat ride on the Erie Canal. It connects the Hudson River and the Atlantic Ocean at sea level with the Niagara River and the Great Lakes at 570 feet above sea level. The 363 mile Canal was dug by hand between 1817 and 1825. Lockport is where Locks # 34 and 35 are: they are opened and closed as boats go by, allowing water to rise or lower so that boats can continue through. We passed under an upside-down railroad bridge and the widest bridge in the U.S.. I do have photos that I'll try and post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment