Friday, August 12, 2011

Driving North--Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

Scenery on the  way to Utah. Because I was on a major highway, most of the photos were taken from my car window.  A beautiful drive...


















I continued north on I-15 to I-89 towards the Tetons and Yellowstone.  I drove by Bear Lake, a beautiful body of very blue water that is in Utah and Idaho.




Rt.  66 isn't the only road with abandoned houses.  I saw many on this
 trip--this one made me stop and wonder what happened.




I was in Idaho when I decided to stop for the evening.  My neighbor had encouraged me to consider KOA campground cabins as an alternative to motels.  I came upon this campground in Montpelier, ID, and decided to try it.  It was a lovely setting--my cabin was next to a stream, had WiFi, cable TV, a porch swing, bathrooms close by, and the doors locked.  The only problem was that I didn't have bedding.  I put a small blanket on the bed to lie on, rolled some clothes into a pillow, covered myself with a couple of sweatshirts, and I was good to go!



The morning I left it was 61 degrees outside--felt wonderful!

Continuing north, I crossed into Wyoming.  Again, some beautiful scenery, and authentic western towns.


Many ranches or homes had elaborate gateways over their driveways.



The town of Afton...


Local Ford dealership.



Jackson (Hole), Wyoming is a town I visited on my last 66 trip, and found to be charming.  In the town square is a small park, with arches of elk antlers greeting you at the entrances.  Across the street is the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar.  I wished I had more time to spend here, but I was wanting to get to my brothers in Bismarck.






On to the Tetons and Yellowstone in the next posting!







No comments:

Post a Comment