Monday, July 11, 2011

Backtracking in Illinois, and on to Missouri

I went back to the point in Illinois at which I hopped on the highway to get to St. Louis.  In Glen Carbon, one is welcomed into town through a covered bridge.



Then to Collinsville, called the Horseradish Capital of the World, and home to the World's Largest Ketchup Bottle, a water tower.  It's said that if pregnant women pass too closely, they will have red-headed children!


  


Then to my last stop before entering Missouri, the Chain of Rocks Bridge.  The bridge is closed to vehicle traffic, but is now billed as the World's Largest Bicycle and Pedestrian Bridge.  It was also used in the movie Escape From New York with Kurt Russell.  I chose not to cross the bridge because I had been forewarned about a rash of robberies from cars in the parking lot. The photo is from a few steps onto the bridge. 





So, then I visited my friends, had the hospital stay, and journeyed onward through Missouri, Kansas, and into OK.  I'm now in Miami, OK.  I'll post more tonight.  OK, here's one more...a mural on the side of a building...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment