Monday, July 11, 2011

Rt. 66 in Missouri

Heading south from St. Louis, I came upon Villa Ridge.  The Diamonds Restaurant once claimed to be the world's largest restaurant.  Are you noticing a pattern?  World's largest, longest, biggest, tallest--find it all on Rt. 66!




Across the street is this motel, typical for the time.

On through several towns to Cuba, where I came across the World's Largest (of course) Rocking Chair.  This thing is huge, but not old.


Over 42' tall, weighs 27,500 lbs, 20' across.  Cuba also has a number of outdoor murals.  Here are a few.






Driving through Rosati wine country, I spotted this building.  Couldn't tell if it was being used or not.  I guess years ago there were all kinds of small stands along the road with people selling grapes.



I stopped driving for the day when I arrived in Lebanon.  I saw the Munger Moss Motel and decided to stay there.  It's been run by a lovely couple for 35 years.   



To be continued...




1 comment:

  1. Great pictures Karin. You should publish a book about your trip.

    ReplyDelete