Tuesday, July 19, 2011

More in Texas

Have had a great rest in Payson, and am at the library to see if I can catch up with the blog.  Even though Texas is almost our largest state, Rt. 66 only goes through the top part, or the panhandle, actually covering less miles than in the other Rt. 66 states, except Kansas.

In Texas, I saw another series of Burma Shave signs--there have been several, but these represented what might have been around in the earlier day:

Going East
Or going
West
Rt. 66
Does it best

I loved this truck parked in an old gas station, with all the signatures on it.


The town of Groom, actually back to the east, has a newer addition--the largest cross in the Western Hemisphere at 190 feet.  I only saw it from a distance.



Two towns have vied for the title of Midpoint of Rt. 66.  It's hard to know exactly where it is because of all the alignments.  Both Vega and Adrian claim to be the midpoint.  Here's the sign in Adrian.


The last town in Texas is another ghost town named Glenrio.  It was actually spooky to be there.  No people, ruined buildings.  I finally saw the movie "Cars" last night, and thought of the ghost towns I've seen.  This photo is of a motel that read on one side "Last Motel in Texas", but most of the letters are gone.  The other side read "First Motel in Texas"--you can make out some of the words.



In Texas, the road was open, the pavement was old, and I could see for miles around me.  I have renewed appreciation for how small I am in this big world!

I'll make New Mexico a new post.


No comments:

Post a Comment