Tuesday, July 12, 2011

More from Missouri

Thanks to all who have commented on my blog, whether by posting comments below my post, via email, or on Facebook.  I am feeling much better and excited about the rest of my trip.

A note about using a GPS on Rt. 66.  In my first post I said that Rt. 66 couldn't be found on the GPS.  That's true, but my Garmin is on constantly.  I keep the map on to let me know which direction I'm driving.  I've turned around a few times when I noticed I was heading east!  I also have been able to find specific addresses of sights I want to see that might be a block or two off the main road.  So it's been a great tool.

Also a word about my 66 resources.  I'm using two books, "Route 66 Traveler's Guide" by Tom Snyder, and the "Route 66 Adventure Handbook" by Drew Knowles.  I'm also using a set of maps specific to Rt. 66.  In a couple of states, particularly in Oklahoma, old 66 is now State Rt. 66, making it easier to find my way. 

When I left Springfield, I saw these abandoned pumps and Texaco sign in the middle of a field, not too far from a private residence.  I'm glad that people leave these old reminders of the past--so many have been torn down.



There was also this building in Plano, roofless and abandoned, with trees growing inside.  It is hard to tell how old it is.  I have seen many abandoned businesses in the small towns that were bypassed with the highway being built.



In Phelps, another abandoned place--possibly an old church or school?



Scenes as they may have been in the early days...



In Carthage, an old Drive-in theater has been restored.  As I was taking photos, a man drove in who happened to be the owner.  He said that everything is original--the screen, the ticket booth...except you now get sound through your radio.  I would miss the old speakers!






Finally, I drove through Joplin.  I found my way to where the storm damage occurred months ago, and I was heartsick.  I've never seen so much devastation in one place.  I'm including a few photos to give you an idea--so much work is yet to be done.  As you look at the photos, please say a prayer for those affected by this tragedy.












1 comment:

  1. Very interesting photos and text. Thanks for taking me along on the trip!

    ReplyDelete