Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Continuing through Oklahoma

In the town of Narcissa, I saw an example of an old motel sign that's not been restored.  The motel is closed now.



In Chelsea, I found the Hogue House, an original Sears Roebuck pre-cut house purchased in Chicago in 1913 for $1,600 and delivered by railroad car.  It's the only known example west of the Mississippi and is still owned by descendants of the original buyer.  I expected to see a small, cheap-looking home, and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it is.


Near Catoosa is the Blue Whale, another mom-and-pop roadside attraction.  The whale sits in a pond, and you could climb into the body and slide down.  It's fun to see these kitschy attractions--more to come!



Saw this sign in Tulsa--it is huge.



Outside of Sapulpa, I drove on an older alignment of 66 and came upon the Rock Creek Bridge, a brick paved, iron truss bridge, and past an old abandoned drive-in theater, The Teppee Drive-In--different than the previous one I saw that had been renovated.




Last for this post is the Rock Cafe in Stroud.  It was built with stones that were dug up while constructing  Rt. 66--it is still open for business.



I stayed in Chandler this night.  I'm behind in my blogging, but will keep plugging away.  I am actually in Santa Rosa, New Mexico tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment