Saturday, July 9, 2011

A slight detour in my travels

While I was in St. Louis, I developed an ear infection. I visited an urgent care clinic, got an antibiotic, and thought I was all set.  A few days later I was still suffering.  I left St. Louis on July 5th, driving as far as Lebanon.  When I checked into the motel for the night, I started feeling dizzy and nauseous, finally getting sick.  UGH!  The next morning I visited the local hospital's emergency room.  I was there for about 5 hours, and was given a number of tests--CATscan, blood tests, all negative.  The doc changed my antibiotic and gave me eardrops.  I stayed in town that night, and started down the road the next morning.  I got as far as Springfield (not very far) and realized I was too weak, dizzy, and nauseous to continue.  I drove myself to another branch of the same hospital.  After several hours in the ER, I was admitted for 2 nights in the stroke unit!!  Because I'd had a bit of slurred speech (I think from the heat and weakness) the doc wanted to rule out a possible mini-stroke--yikes!  So over the 3 days and two nights I had--another CAT scan, an MRI, EKG, ECHO cardiogram, Caratid ultrasound, Barium Swallow, several blood tests, urine test, fluids and drugs via IV.  I told Brian I could skip my physical this year!

So now I'm sitting in my motel room, feeling a bit weak and tired, but much better than three days ago. At one point I thought I might have to cut my trip short, but I've decided to carry on.

Tomorrow I will post some photos from some of the sights I saw prior to my hospitalization.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes!!! Yesterday Ken and I talked about your blog and commented that you hadn't posted in a couple of days but we assumed you had no internet access. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin, I had become concerned because your blog had not been updated for so long. Like Sally, I told myself it was because you didn't have internet service. So sorry you've had this illness interfer with your trip. Glad to know you are feeling better. Rest up for a bit before hitting the road again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I'm so sorry. Feel better soon. Please take it slow for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow karin, that's so scary when you're sick so far from home. Glad you're feeling better. Looking ofrward to more pictures. My husband really liked the gas pump photo. We'd like to take this trip in his hotrod olds '37. When I retire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karin - Hope RT 66 treats you better going south and west. The photos are great - keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete